Safety measures need to be taken when working with any equipment such as using a drill or a wood cutter. Similarly, ladders have certain safety measures to be taken. Below are the listed safety measures and a brief description as to why this measure has to be taken.
- Ladder is made for one person: Commercial ladders are made for one person, and if there are multiple people trying to climb it simultaneously, then the ladder might lose balance and could fall down severely injuring the people on and/or the people trying to climb the ladder. However, dual-sided step ladders (industrial ladders) are an exemption, because it is made for the convenience and for two individuals to climb up the ladder simultaneously.
- Inspect the ladder’s conditions: Before climbing the ladder make sure there are no cracks, bent locks or lose rubber feet. This will avoid the circumstance of you falling down from the ladder due to an imbalance. Also, make sure the stays or step-lock is properly set into the respective place to avoid imbalance. In case there are any damages, get it fixed right away preferably with the manufacturer’s original product which will keep up the quality of the ladder.
- Firm ground: The ladder needs to be placed on a flat and firm ground. And the rubber feet need to be placed comfortably on a soft ground to avoid it being shaky and out of balance.
- Keep it close to the work area: The ladder needs to be kept as close as possible to the job area. For example: A person uses a ladder to harvest fruits from the trees, the person should place the ladder as close to the tree so that you don’t have to reach out too much to pluck the fruit.
- Don’t get too high: Always refrain from using the top three steps of a ladder especially an extension ladder because it could put too much weight on one side which could lead the ladder to slip from the supporting object.
- Make sure not to use the ladder when in wet: Refrain from using the ladder when the ladder is wet, or using a ladder in wet places such as: checking the water tank (however there are specially ladders for this purpose, they are called water tank ladders because the steps on the ladder do not get wet or slippery unlike other ladders) Check out more here http://www.industrialsteps.com/stanchions.php.
- Maintain your balance: The individual should face the top of the ladder at all times and maintain three points of contact with the ladder to maintain your self-balance.