Renovations are a quick and easy way to make your building look fresh and newer, so it would be a perfect idea to start looking for an effective renovation plan if you are the current owner of a twenty or thirty-year-old building. While renovations themselves should not pose problems, there are certain quirks in older buildings which can cause you several problems on the way.
The main reason for this is because older buildings have been built according to older standards, which means that the safety levels and materials used for the construction work may not be the same ones that are used nowadays. Depending on your location and your home’s age, you might have to contend with removing hazardous materials, and you need specialized firms to perform these tasks in a safe manner.
Here are a few major points that you need to watch out for when remodelling or renovating older buildings:
- Asbestos Removal – Asbestos used to be quite a popular material in the past. It was used everywhere in the construction industry, but that was before people understood the potential dangers of loosened asbestos fibres. Nowadays, the usage of this material is banned pretty much all over the world, and you will need to do something about your asbestos fence removal Perth or cladding cover it if begins to decay and crumble. Contact specialized removalists to quickly dispose of the material without causing further danger to you and your neighbours.
- Replacement of Lead Plumbing – Lead is another harmful material that has quickly gone extinct in the construction industry. Nevertheless, a lot of older homes still have some lead left in plumbing joints, which can cause lead poisoning if it is not replaced as soon as possible. Get in touch with a qualified plumber who can inspect your plumbing to determine the materials used for its construction and for soldering the joints.
- Decontaminating Soil – If some of the asbestos has managed to come loose and settled somewhere on your property, it would be a great idea to take advantage of services such as contaminated land remediation to ensure the safety of the nearby land area. Even if you might not think of this as a major problem at first, remember that a tiny amount of asbestos is enough to cause all sorts of problems with your lungs.
- Renovating Old Wiring – Older wiring may not always be capable of running modern appliances at their maximum rated capacity. Due to this, it would be a wise idea to consider upgrading your home’s wiring system, especially when you plan to run a lot of electrical appliances at once.
- Pest Extermination – Older homes also tend to harbour pests like termites and ants in places where you least expect them. If left to do their own business, these pests can cause major problems by damaging your home’s basement, which then leads to structural issues that may force you to spend a fortune in order to get them fixed.